Thursday, January 5, 2012

Warm Welcoming




Arrived to Trinidad and Tobago without any issues arising. I was amazed at the beauty of the island, with the position of the houses, the people are friendly, and the children seem well mannered.....with their please, thank yous, yes sister and apologetic compared to what the states often lack. Oh yeah, and the people speak "sang song"......couple sayings already heard - " he ain't right here" (person is crazy) and when asked how customs agent was at Trinidad & Tobago airport, he said " I dey" (I'm fine).

Along the drive to the Saint Dominic's Children's Home, it was weird how the sister was driving on the right side of the car, rather than Americans. Its an English rule and the cars are English style. The roads are weird to. But hey, that's what culture is and will take some getting use to. All apart of the experience, right?

Upon arrival to the Children's Home, we arrived to Belmont which is on the border of Port of Spain. So my view, is Port of Spain which is the capital of Trinidad and Tobago. We approached the guards at the entry gate of the home and drove up this BIG hill, where the Children's Home main campus sits upon ten acres of land. Over the next 16 weeks of my field placement/missionary work, I will be residing in the Saint Joseph Home with the 13-16 year old gentlemen. When entering the home, I was proved with a tour of the home, ending with entry into my "apartment space". The room was cleaned and set up with the help of the boys and home staff. They created a welcoming basket, putting many of goodies in it, placed a plant on my bed side and decorated my bathroom. It was lovely and very thoughtful.

I am blessed to be here, and all the nuns great you with a welcoming hug......which makes me feel apart of the community already.

No comments:

Post a Comment