Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Be careful what you request from god







Today marks thirty-seven days since my arrival to Trinidad and Tobago. Now that I've been with the children for sometime here at Saint Dominic's Children's Home, one could say "I've been stretched, pressed, and tested for god's usage"! But that is to be expected right?

Before arriving to the children's home, I was talking with god and said " lord you sending me to do your work. Please use me where you need me most. Please help me to make a difference. Please help me to show these children what love looks like. Please help me to show these children and people what forgiveness and healing looks like. Because your the only one that can show them!" Someone once told me, " be careful what you ask god for, because he will give it to you". Often we don't think about the important factor, "we don't know what to do with our desires - when they land before our feet"! 

Now that I am in the heart of my placement for graduate school, I've realized, this is a missionary trip! Why? On the surface, I'm completed the uniquely tailored assignments but daily working on building the kingdom of god here. How? Through my ministering to the children and with the staff. My placement here, was not a mistake. People keep telling me, " this assignment was made for you and only you. God chose you for this assignment, before you even found out FSU had a international field placement program. And he had you encounter all the trauma you faced during your life's journey; so you can help these children. What better person to do it, Nicole". 

Daily, I think about these things and it amazes me how god keeps dropping things on my lap; and he wont stop. The other night, I was writing in my journal and was jotting down how many projects I'm involved in. Here goes:

1) Life Skills Workshops
2) Case Management - three clients
3) In-Service Training's for on-site and off-site caregivers
4) Home Policy Manual Development
5) Life Skills Assessment Development and Implemented
6) Speaking Engagements ( Sharing my testimony)
7) Development of workshops for youth (i.e. sibling rivalry, trauma and loss, importance of relationships, owning your past, and etc.)

Your head is probably already spinning!!!!!! But it doesn't stop there. I was asked to help this young American fella who, was adopted by a Trinidadian family. He wants to find his mother in the states. The adoptive parents are seeking my help to prepare them for this journey. I have to allow god to help me prepare the family and fella from positive and negative outcomes.

Then this church I've been visiting since my arrival, is having a young women conference. During this conference, an American christian social worker will be coming to conduct the speaking and talk about issues women face and talk about the importance of healing from our trauma. Afterwards, the group will be going to a local hospital and ministering to the patients. I am thinking about joining them.

I realize god has sent me to do a mighty work. And the crazy thing is, I will be here until May 26th. So who knows what else god will lay on my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment